This is one new posts in celebration of the “A Week”,
“I think that there are no forces on this planet more dangerous to us all than the fanaticisms of fundamentalism, of all the species: Protestantism, Catholicism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism, as well as countless smaller infections. Is there a conflict between science and religion here? There most certainly is.” Daniel C. Dennett, Darwin’s Dangerous Idea
Richard Dawkins, Daniel C. Dennett, Sam Harris andChristopher Hitchens have been referred to as The Four Knights Of The Apocalypse by mystics who believe in the coming of the last revelation given by the Christian god in the last book of the New Testament written by the prophet John. In the book, these Four Knights were sent by god to bring plagues upon the world. The previous authors, all active atheists opposing mysticism have written dozens of books that have enlightened and educated millions of men who previously believed in these and more irrational and mystic stories.
- The Red Horse, represented the plague of war.
- The Black Horse, representing famine and poverty.
- The Green or Yellow Horse, representing death and illness.
- The White Horse, representing the final moment of life in which the Death reappears once again to redeem humanity.
To parody this Apocalyptic stories and to celebrate the Week of Atheism, I choose to remember Daniel C. Dennett as Knight No. 2.
The books written by Dennett are among the easiest and more interesting to read in the topics of philosophy of mind, philosophy of science and philosophy of biology. His are also some of the books with more notes, marks and corrections I have in my personal library. Dennett has a very clever and consistent stands specifically in regard to the field of philosophy of biology of which I have enjoyed reading a lot in his books. I strongly disagree with many of his arguments that depart from a objective and rational stand in regard to man’s epistemology, added to his incorrect relation of morality and organized religion as reciprocally necessary. Nonetheless he’s a great writer. Among his works are:
- Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon
- DARWIN’S DANGEROUS IDEA: EVOLUTION AND THE MEANINGS OF LIFE
- Consciousness Explained
- The Extended Phenotype: The Long Reach of the Gene
- Science and Religion: Are They Compatible?
- Freedom Evolves
- The Mind’s I: Fantasies and Reflections on Self & Soul
If you are new to his name, I recommend you to check the wonderful lecture by Mr. Dennett titled “What Should Replace Religions?“
- Knights Of The Apocalypse No. 1 (capitalisthistory.com)