I am reading all day long specialized non-fiction books and journal essays. That is how life is like when you want to be an Academic in a world in which competition is getting harder and harder. However, I also find some time to read good non-fiction from other specialties or great fiction and poetry that allows me to romanticize.
Choosing good non-fiction is very hard for me since the offers are so many and the time to read is so reduced. Plus, the new offers in the market are huge and I learned when working as Collection Developer for my college library that even reviewing the best book review magazines takes a lot of time.
I found this list of the 2012 Pulitzer Prize winners that will surely help me choose the best non-fiction to read this summer when traveling for holidays. I hope you will also find this list helpful! Also, I add some other fiction books from my ongoing list of “pending to read” that may be also helpful for you!
PULITZER WINNERS 2012
- General Nonfiction: The Swerve: How the World Became Modern by Stephen Greenblatt
- Biography: George F. Kennan: An American Life by John Lewis Gaddis
- History: Malcolm X: A Life of Reinvention by Manning Marable
- Poetry: Life on Mars by Tracy K. Smith
- National Reporting: Beyond the Battlefield: The War Goes on for the Severely Wounded by David Wood (Kindle book)
MORE FICTION Recommendations
- Train Dreams by Denis Johnson
- Swamplandia! by Karen Russell
- The Pale King by David Foster Wallace
- A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan
- In Other Rooms, Other Wonders by Daniyal Mueenuddin
- Tinkers by Paul Harding
- Other Desert Cities by Jon Robin Baitz
- Clybourne Park by Bruce Norris
- Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo by Rajiv Joseph
- Next to Normal – Tom Kitt and Brian Yorkey
If you have some recommendations please share them with me! I’d love to have them in my reading list!
- Books In The News (theepochtimes.com)
- Pulitzer Fiction Snub Has Book Publishers Fuming (mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Pulitzer Prize for history, but not for fiction (csmonitor.com)